[openssl-users] Appropriate use of SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list()

Hubert Kario hkario at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 13:51:16 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 19 July 2018 00:12:55 CEST Michael Wojcik wrote:
> [...]

and the idea of providing that was exactly to allow this, as not all
applications provide necessary configuration options, so without the system
policy you have no way of overriding openssl defaults at all

yes, it's system-wide, but applications are explicitly allowed to override the
policy, and if you really need to communicate with old software or hardware,
there is LEGACY policy provided for this

> The OpenSSL-consuming software I work on all uses our own OpenSSL builds -
> we don't use the OS-supplied one, if there is one - so this isn't an issue
> I have to deal with professionally. But we do make the cipher-suite list
> configurable, with a default that tries to strike a reasonable compromise
> between strength and compatibility.

yes, for people that manage this stuff themselves, and spend a lot of time
thinking and making decisions about their TLS settings, regularly updating it,
this may feel intrusive

but please remember, this is not the typical user behaviour

--
Regards,
Hubert Kario