[openssl-users] 1.1.1 pre1 tests failing on Solaris SPARC

Andy Polyakov appro at openssl.org
Sat Feb 24 09:47:07 UTC 2018

> So testsuite is running but this is a non-optimal debug build and only
> on the Fujitsu sparc and not on a baseline v9 yet. See "e_flags" in the
> ELF header below which is somewhat restrictive.
>
>   e_flags:    [ EF_SPARCV9_TSO EF_SPARC_SUN_US1 EF_SPARC_SUN_US3 ]

If "somewhat restrictive" refers to presence of EF_SPARC_SUN_US1 and
EF_SPARC_SUN_US3, then it's likely to be between you and
compiler/run-time. The flags are set by linker as logical 'or' of flags
from all input object files involved. What you need is to identify which
of the *.o files that carries additional flags. On Linux I'd simply
'find . -name \*.o -exec file {} \;' and would show things like "Sun
UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required". If you find nothing among OpenSSL .o
files, then flag comes from elsewhere, and that would be question to
vendor. But even if you find OpenSSL *.o file with undesired flag, it
would still be question to vendor, because -xarch=v9 is documented to
mean "no extensions please", so there shouldn't be any.

As for -lm, which symbol was undefined?