[openssl-users] SSL_dane_tlsa_add function signature

Patrick Schlangen patrick at schlangen.me
Tue Jan 9 17:56:56 UTC 2018

Hi,

please forgive me if this question has been asked before.

>  int SSL_dane_tlsa_add(SSL *s, uint8_t usage, uint8_t selector,
>                       uint8_t mtype, unsigned char *data, size_t dlen);

Reading the docs, my impression ist hat SSL_dane_tlsa_add adds a TLSA record
to the SSL object for later use during verification.
What puzzles me is that the data argument of type unsigned char is not
const. Will the function modify the data buffer in any way?
Also, is it safe to free the data after calling SSL_dane_tlsa_add, or
phrased differently: Will SSL_dane_tlsa_add create a copy of the data?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Patrick