[openssl-users] MTLS verification fails

salil GK gksalil at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 05:58:28 UTC 2018

Hi

   I am new to certificate management domain. We have a MTLS server. I am
trying to debug the issues between the certificate validation between
client and server.

   I used openssl s_client and s_server command to verify if the
certificates are in good shape.
But while doing so - I am getting the following error.

    #$ openssl s_client -cert tomcat.pem  -key tomcat_priv.pem  -CAfile
ca.pem -connect lrc1.cisco.com:8446

    -----

    #$ openssl s_server -key privkey.pem -cert server.pem  -accept 8446
-verify ca.pem

    verify depth is 0

    Using default temp DH parameters

    ACCEPT

    depth=2 O = Cisco Systems, CN = trca-4096-sha2

    verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain

    ERROR

    verify error:self signed certificate in certificate chain

    140011871301248:error:14089086:SSL
routines:ssl3_get_client_certificate:certificate verify
failed:s3_srvr.c:3427:

    shutting down SSL

    CONNECTION CLOSED

What is the meaning of this error and how do I correct this - ?

Thanks
~S