[openssl-users] MTLS verification fails

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Mon Mar 5 06:21:01 UTC 2018

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 12:58 AM, salil GK <gksalil at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> openssl s_client -cert tomcat.pem  -key tomcat_priv.pem  -CAfile ca.pem -connect lrc1.cisco.com:8446
>
>     -----
>
>     #$ openssl s_server -key privkey.pem -cert server.pem  -accept 8446 -verify ca.pem
>     verify depth is 0
>     Using default temp DH parameters
>     ACCEPT
>     depth=2 O = Cisco Systems, CN = trca-4096-sha2
>     verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain
>     ERROR
>     verify error:self signed certificate in certificate chain
>     140011871301248:error:14089086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_client_certificate:certificate verify failed:s3_srvr.c:3427:
>     shutting down SSL
>     CONNECTION CLOSED
>
> What is the meaning of this error and how do I correct this - ?

You have not specified a "-CAfile" or "-CApath" option telling "s_server" where to
look for the "O = Cisco Systems, CN = trca-4096-sha2" trusted issuer CA certificate.

You've also incorrectly specified the "-verify" option, which certainly
does not help.

  https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.0.2/apps/openssl-s_server.html

   -verify depth, -Verify depth

    The verify depth to use. This specifies the maximum length of the
    client certificate chain and makes the server request a certificate
    from the client. With the -verify option a certificate is requested
    but the client does not have to send one, with the -Verify option
    the client must supply a certificate or an error occurs.

    If the ciphersuite cannot request a client certificate (for example
    an anonymous ciphersuite or PSK) this option has no effect.

--
	Viktor.