[openssl-users] SSLv3 error in Ubuntu/Apache2

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Mon May 14 05:53:43 UTC 2018

On 12/05/2018 19:01, Deepak Goel wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to use Apache2 on Ubuntu. When I try running Apache2, it
> throws up an error:
>
> SSLv3 not supported by this version of OpenSSL. I tried installing
> latest version of OpenSSL by using (sudo apt-get install openssl) on
> Ubuntu. However the same error persist.
>
> Any idea how do I resolve the error?
Please check if you Apache configuration explicitly requests use of
the mostly outdated SSLv3.  Such a configuration setting may be
left over from years ago when SSLv3 was still a good thing to use.

SSLv3 is has many protocol design security holes that cannot be
fixedwithout switching to a later SSL version, such as TLS
1.0/1.1/1.2 etc.  These bugs are not in OpenSSL, but in the
protocol standard itself.

Unfortunately there are still a few old web browsers that only
support SSLv3, but only if you absolutely have to support those
should you set up a way to use SSLv3 on your web server.

Enjoy

Jakob