[openssl-users] updating openssl

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Thu Nov 8 23:52:09 UTC 2018

On Debian systems, the standard procedure on Debian is to build your
private/different versions of openssl (or anything else) in /usr/local,
while leaving the Debain modified OpenSSL in /usr .

This should keep your own code and Debian code out of each others way.

Any programs you need to use with your own OpenSSL should be similarly
rebuilt and put in /usr/local.

I happen to do that quite a lot with OpenSSL.

On 09/11/2018 00:23, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> Generally, you don't want to replace any system-provided version of
> OpenSSL with a different version that has a different ABI. The way
> you've done so (without deleting the libraries from the older version)
> is safe, but don't remove the system package of openssl-1.0.2. Other
> packages may link to that version and stop working if you remove it.
>
> -Kyle H
>
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2018, 14:02 Paul <paul.davis at curatess.com
> <mailto:paul.davis at curatess.com> wrote:
>
>     I configured Openvpn server on ubuntu 16.04 and ubuntu was using a
>     old version of openssl 1.0.2 and I was updating openssl to v1.1.1
>     Now I've installed the openssl but now unable to mv file installed
>     to ln -s /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl /usr/bin/openssl
>     failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/openssl': File exists
>

>     but then when I use openssl version
>
>     /usr/bin/openssl: No such file or directory
>
>     how can I correct this?
>
>     Paul

Enjoy

Jakob