[openssl-users] What to do with deprecation errors

pgndev pgnet.dev at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 19:56:56 UTC 2018

The "which package depends on which openssl ver" issue's been around a long
time.

FWIW, in general, I *never* touch openssl libs/headers in the default
distro path, /usr.
Just leave that alone -- too many distro packages (still) make (invalid)
assumptions about that being the only/preferred openssl version.

Also, some-not-all distros include /usr/local/ libs & headers in search
path; with a higher priority than /usr.  Drop the 'wrong version' there,
and you can cause yourself similar headaches.

Instead, I build openssl versions into standalone-dirs. E.g.,

  /usr/local/openssl102
  /usr/local/openssl110
  /usr/local/openssl111

and then build any apps I want/need to use a specific version with
appropriate CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS/INCLUDE, as well as LIBS with rpath.
Yes, it's a slog.  But for my use, it's been the only way to manage the
mess.

With the release of openssl 111, I suspect/hope things will begin to
stabilize in app-land; but, I'm not holding my breath.

And, of course, different strokes ...