[openssl-users] s_server -www -tls1_3: Firefox/Chrome not working

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Thu Sep 13 18:13:41 UTC 2018

On 13/09/2018 09:57, Klaus Keppler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thank you for all your responses.
>
> I've just tested with Firefox Nightly 64.0a1, and both s_server and our
> own app (using OpenSSL 1.1.1-release) are working fine.
>
> The Firefox website is quite confusing:
>
>> Firefox 61 is already shipping draft-28, which is essentially the same as the final published version (just with a different version number).
> (https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/08/13/tls-1-3-published-in-firefox-today/)
>
> This is quite confusing, as it sounds better than it actually is.
> (so I've just learned that draft-28 is obviously incompatible with RFC8446)
>
> So thank you for your input, will now continue with OpenSSL 1.1.1.
> The rest will be only a matter of time. :D
>
> Best regards
>
>     -Klaus
Would it be reasonable for 1.1.1a to add a transitional "bugs" bit (to be
removed again in a few years) to accept the draft version number of final
TLS 1.3, if the protocols are otherwise identical?

This would be similar to the (now historic) bits for known bugs in other
popular clients.  It also seems to be what Facebook has done for their
own servers (according to other posts in this discussion).

Or would it be unproblematic from a real world perspective to just keep
TLS 1.3 non-functional for draft-28 browsers?

Enjoy

Jakob