openssl.cnf required in 1.1.1b?

Jernej Simončič jernej+s-ossl at eternallybored.org
Mon Apr 8 08:22:46 UTC 2019

I provide Windows binaries for wget, which I link statically, to make
wget.exe completely self-contained, and I use OpenSSL as the crypto
backend. This worked fine for years, but when I updated OpenSSL to
1.1.1b for the latest wget release, wget is now failing on some
systems with "Disabling SSL due to encountered errors.", which
apparently happens because the OpenSSL library needs to have a
configuration file now.

Is there any way to make OpenSSL 1.1.1b work without needing a
configuration file?

I configure OpenSSL with the following (I cross-compile wget from
Linux):

./Configure --cross-compile-prefix=x86_64-w64-mingw32- mingw64 no-shared zlib --prefix=/win32dev/misc/wget/out64 -L/win32dev/misc/wget/out64/lib -I/win32dev/misc/wget/out64/include -static

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><><><><><><><><>< https://eternallybored.org/ >

           Because 10 billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral...
it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness.