Reg: Building Openssl 1.1.1b for Borland

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Fri Apr 26 11:58:22 UTC 2019

On 26/04/2019 08:19, Richard Levitte wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 07:05:01 +0200,
> Ande Vishnuvardhan Reddy wrote:
>> We would like to build Openssl 1.1.1b with Borland compiler (bcc32 - Embarcadero C++ 7.40). Seems
>> support for Borland is removed from 1.1.x .
> It was dropped, that's true.  The main reason was lack of docs (or not
> being able to find the docs)
>
>> Could you please help in building Openssl 1.1.1b with Borland?
>> Please suggest what are the conf files to be added to generate makefile.
> It's not just about the conf file, you most probably need a separate
> Makefile template too.  For starters, I assume Borland comes with some
> kind of make utility...  or do Borland users use something else?
> What's its default Makefile name?
At least older versions (5.x) included a MAKE.EXE which was more
predictable than MS's NMAKE.EXE.  The compilers could be invoked
from any other make tool (nmake, GNU make etc.), but Borland's
MAKE.EXE had an option to extract source file and header
dependencies directly from the object files being checked for
staleness, thus allowing simpler rules that don't mention all the
used headers.  However I guess the OpenSSL build system already
contains the needed dependencies anyway.

Also, Borland C/C++ used to stick to the old OMF object file format,
not the COFF format used by Microsoft tools.

Enjoy

Jakob