Issue Building OpenSSL with "enable-static-engine" for MD & MT Builds for x86

manoj upadhyay upadhyay.manoj at live.com
Fri Aug 9 05:30:26 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I am trying to build OpenSSL  DLLs  for MD and MT for windows on X86 and x64.   I am building it for Visual studio vs 2017, 2015 and   2013.

When I configure the build using following command on  Visual Studio2015  x86 command prompt , "namke" is throwing error But the same is working with Visual studio 2017 (32/64bit) and for Visual Studio 2015 x64.

                               perl Configure VC-WIN32 no-asm enable-static-engine

While searching for this Issue I came across following
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/560
"INSTALL.WIN configure option `enable-static-engine` appears to be ignored #560:"

It seems it was supported viautil/mk1mf in older version of OpenSSSLBut now this file ans this flag is removed.

Is there any way to resolve the Issue?
What is the use of this flag "​enable-static-engine"?
Why it was there and why it is removed now?

I will be great if I can get some insight.  Thanks In Advance.

Regards,
Manoj Upadhyay