IPv6 address encoding in commonName

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Aug 14 02:55:17 UTC 2019

I am fiddling around with an intermediate CA signing cert that the CA's
'name' is it HIP (RFC 7401) HIT which is a valid IPv6 address. Actually
a Hierarchical HIT as in draft-moskowitz-hierarchical-hip (to be revised
soon).

For a client cert, it would be easy to put the HIT in subjectAltName per
RFC 8002 (with a null subjectName), but a CA cert MUST have a non-empty
subjectName.

Thus all I want in this subjectName is commonName with the HIT.

I am looking for examples of IPv6 addresses in commonName.

My searches today have come up empty.

Thank for any reference(s).