OpenSSL hash memory leak

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Mon Feb 25 14:31:13 UTC 2019

On 25/02/2019 15:05, Hubert Kario wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 February 2019 11:34:18 CET prithiraj das wrote:
>> If it helps, sometimes I do get the following errors for the same and
>> subsequent reboot:
>>
>> Alignment trap: sh (601) PC=0xb6e008f8 Instr=0x4589c0d7 Address=0x000000d7
>> FSR 0x801
>> Alignment trap: login (584) PC=0xb6e6ab00 Instr=0xe5951000
>> Address=0xd27cdc63 FSR 0x001
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x0000000b
> that doesn't look like openssl problem at all, openssl may trigger it, but
> only because it's using the system to its fullest potential, not because there
> are issues in openssl
>
> I'd suggest trying memtest86 and trying to capture full kernel stacktrace with
> netconsole, in this order. But this mailing list is not a good place for
> follow up on this.

Just FYI.  "Alignment trap" is not usually a hardware issue.  It
is virtually always a software error (specifically, accessing a
16, 32, 64, 80 or 128 bit value through an insufficiently aligned
pointer).

A stack trace is needed to determine if this is a kernel or user
mode issue, and if so where.

Of cause there is the remote possibility that a hardware error
caused a pointer to have a value it shouldn't have according to
the code.

However unless the error is actually in OpenSSL code, there is
little that this list can do to fix the problem.

Given the specific text of the other error message, I hope you
are not somehow running OpenSSL itself as process 1 (init), as
that would be highly unusual.

Enjoy

Jakob