AW: OpenSSL version 1.1.1b published

Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Wed Feb 27 18:15:48 UTC 2019

On 27.02.19 13:51, Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
> Matthias St. Pierre in gmane.comp.encryption.openssl.user (Wed, 27 Feb
> 2019 13:00:55 +0100):
>> On 27.02.19 10:09, Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
>>> I ran into this using 7-Zip 18.05 (x64) on Windows, which is a fairly
>>> recent version.
>> Thanks for the Updates about 7-Zip. But IMHO it is not really an issue, just a little 'manufacturing byproduct'.
> It does not bother me at all. I just ignored it. But Thomas was right in
> observing that it was different from the previous releases: OpenSSL
> 1.1.1a did not create that file when it was extracted by the same 7-zip
> version.

This change was introduced by https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/7692:

Previously, the tarballs were created using the `tar` command, while nowadays it's done
using `git archive`,  see util/mktar.sh:

     git archive --worktree-attributes --format=tar --prefix="$NAME/" -v HEAD \
         | gzip -9 > "$TARFILE.gz"

And it's git that adds this comment.

Matthias