[openssl-users] tls1_change_cipher_state

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Wed Jan 2 11:12:04 UTC 2019

On 02/01/2019 11:18, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> On 1/2/19 5:14 AM, Jakob Bohm via openssl-users wrote:

>>> Looks that way. They should be removed.
>>>

>> By the way, why aren't any of your test compilers configured to
>> warn about unused local variables?  It's a common feature in many
>> compilers and thus a free consistency check that can catch typos.
>
> Traditionally ( past four decades ) that was a feature provided by
> something like 'lint' but I have not seen a lint picker lately other
> than in the Oracle Studio compiler tools and it certainly isn't open
> source in any way. Works very well however.

Most traditional lint features have migrated into the compilers
(as warnings).  In this case gcc -Wunused enables a number of
such warnings.

Microsoft Visual C includes an advanced but flawed supplemental
linter in the form of the PREfast (code analysis) feature, which
tries to do semantic consistency checks for things like buffer
sizes and semaphore use.  This is closed source however.

By the way, I wonder if there is a way to tell gcc or clang that
OPENSSL_cleanse doesn't count as usage, without triggering other
warnings (such as not using the value written by by
OPENSSL_cleanse).

Enjoy

Jakob