1.1.1b crash (RUN_ONCE problem?)

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Fri Mar 1 19:54:29 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 11:16:52AM -0800, Norm Green wrote:

[ Please avoid non-breaking spaces in your posts. ]

> I'm debugging a failure in a debug build on Solaris SPARC in the below
> code in rand_lib.c. On line 744, rand_meth_lock is NULL, which suggests
> the RUN_ONCE code is not working.  Wondering if anyone else has seen
> this problem?
> We did not see this issue in 1.1.1a.  Perhaps changes in the RUN_ONCE
> code in this commit are responsible?
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/f725fe5b4b6504df08e30f5194d321c3025e2336

That PR looks correct, and has no effect on the behaviour of RUN_ONCE
below.  It only introduces RUN_ONCE_ALT() and uses it in a few
special cases.

> 741     if (!RUN_ONCE(&rand_init, do_rand_init))
> 742         return NULL;
> 743
> 744     CRYPTO_THREAD_write_lock(rand_meth_lock);

Are you sure you're compiling linking and running with the desired
set of headers and libraries?

--
	Viktor.