Building 1.1.1a on Windows - how to "make update"?

Lynch, Andrew andrew.lynch at atos.net
Fri May 24 12:38:14 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have been working with OpenSSL 1.1.1a on Linux.  We have a number of patches that are applied, including a specific version of cmpossl.  To ensure that all new error codes, objects etc. are available I run "make update" after config.  I.e. the build process is

Unpack original distribution openssl-1.1.1a.tar.gz
Apply list of patches
./config
make update && make && make test

Some colleagues have asked me for a Windows executable, so I have now installed ActivePerl 5.26.3 and Visual Studio 2019 on my Windows 7 desktop.

The unmodified openssl-1.1.1a builds and runs just fine using Configure VC-WIN64A-masm.  But with our patches applied the build fails once it gets to crypto/cmp because the include files cmperr.h and crmferr.h do not exist.  On Linux these are created by make update.  The Windows Makefile does not have a target "update" (or "errors" for that matter).

So what is the equivalent of make update or make errors on Windows?

I am wondering if I can simply copy the updated files from Linux (new _err.h, modified obj_dat.h and probably a few more) but I would prefer an official way to (re)generate them on Windows.

Regards,
Andrew.