Application linking to both libcrypto.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.1

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue May 28 21:07:50 UTC 2019

In general, this occurs because you have some other libraries (from your
system) that link against libcrypto.so.1.0.0.  In theory, it should all just
work, but in practice I've often found my application did not work as
expected.

Specifically, I'd get a TLS end point that did not speak ECDSA (1.0 does not,
1.1 does).

You have make a pass through the shared objects that your application
references (ldd output), and then using ldd, you can discover which ones want
libcrypto.so.1.0.0, and then you either have to upgrade those libraries,
or you may have to compile them from source.

The last time I did this, I found it was libpqclient5 (a postgresql client
library), and that I was able to upgrade it to libpqclient10 rather than
resort to source code.
Minimal distributions like containerized alpinelinux also help to minimize
your dependancies.