static linking libssl and libcrypto

Aijaz Baig aijazbaig1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 17:22:37 UTC 2019

Thank you for the information.

I will address your points here:
1. I was not aware of the fact that only those symbols that have been used
get imported when linking a library statically. So that very well could be
the case. I didn't get what you mentioned about the static linking
preventing the program from requiring libSSL.so. I mean the way I am
linking my library should be of no concern to the source code right? Or so
I think.

2. when I downloaded and compiled the openssl library (from source), I
followed the INSTALL read me. All it resulted was libssl.a and libcrypto.a.
I didn't find any file name libSSL.so. So how will this static library
(archive) have references to libSSL.so on the system?? I am kind of
confused here now.

Keen to hear from you,

Aijaz

--