Problems porting Openssl 1.1.1d to zos.

Wendell Nichols wnichols at tibco.com
Mon Nov 11 15:42:21 UTC 2019

Is there anyone on this group with experience with ebcdic platforms,
specifically zOS?  I have built 1.1.1d on zOS and connections to my
server work for firefox 60 but not newer versions.  I don't know exactly
where the cut off is or what they changed but current versions get an
HMAC error.  I strongly suspect that it is keying the hmac with some
combination of inputs that include an improperly translated text string,
but I don't know for sure.  Its quite hard to track down when you don't
have a debugger.

The error message:

> An error occurred during a connection to cafe.na.tibco.com:1802. SSL
> received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code. Error
> code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_READ

If anyone can suggest an approach to figuring this out I'd be grateful.

Wendell Nichols