openssl and external card reader support in TLS

Tobias.Wolf at t-systems.com Tobias.Wolf at t-systems.com
Tue Oct 22 13:03:00 UTC 2019

I need to implement support for the external authentication of a card reader within a TLS handshake. We did this already with PKCS11 using the C_Sign function and it is working fine.
Now I need to implement the same functionality in another use case with openssl for TLS handshake.
My Question is there a callback I can use or do I need to implement my own ENGINE? I want to avoid implementing the ENGINE interface, because that is a lot of work and maybe over engineered for this scenario, right?