openssl and external card reader support in TLS

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Tue Oct 22 15:00:15 UTC 2019

OpenSSL includes a PKCS#11 engine. I've used it in the past to interact with some HSMs for cryptographic operations such as code signing. While some research and additional software may be required to get all the PKCS#11 ducks in a row, it sounds like you've already successfully used PKCS#11 with your device, so I'd expect using it with OpenSSL will be fairly straightforward.

You can find examples of using the openssl command-line utility with the PKCS#11 engine online. That's a good way to get started; it will let you confirm what settings and commands you need.

--
Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus