AW: openssl and external card reader support in TLS

Tobias.Wolf at t-systems.com Tobias.Wolf at t-systems.com
Wed Oct 23 08:11:12 UTC 2019

Our PKCS11 module development will discontinue and therefore I can`t use it anymore, but the idea is great and very interesting.
To give more details we need a callback or similar mechanism to replace the signature created in Certificate TLS message with our signature coming from the card reader.

TLS handshake
S: Certificate Request
C: Certificate Verify --> here we want to hook in "Signature" and replace the value!

We tried already with the client callback

int (*client_cert_cb)(SSL *ssl, X509 **x509,
                                                       EVP_PKEY **pkey));

But there it is mandatory to give in the private key which we don`t have, because that part is done by the card reader machine.
I think the caller of the callback is doing later on a rsa sign processing with the private key and there I want to hook in!

Tobias Wolf, T-Systems