AW: Test failed with openssl-1.1.1d ../test/recipes/20-test_enc.t

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Thu Sep 12 09:53:04 UTC 2019

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 10:31:51 +0200,
Dr. Matthias St. Pierre wrote:

> > > I think this is a problem with the 20-test_enc.t Test and not with OPENSSL.
> > >
> > > Can you please help me to fix the Test ?
> > >

> > Did you enable zlib by any chance? If so it could be this:
> >
> > https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/9866
> >
> > No resolution as yet.
> >
> > Matt
>

> If you need a quick workaround, you have two options:
>
> - Don't use the 'zlib' option when configuring OpenSSL
>
> - Revert the offending commit 8be96f2369. It is dispensible, because it only fixes
>   a 'cosmetical' problem, namely that in certain situations you have to press
>   CTRL-D in the console more often than expected in order to indicate EOF to the
>   openssl application.
>
>    https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/8be96f236969caabf303bec389a2f812b4869c1c

Reverting the "offending commit" is a bad idea, because the code it
corrected was obviously hiding bugs, which would hit others who treat
BIO filters correctly (i.e. actually check if there's any pending
input or output).

Simply put, the zlib BIO filter doesn't behave correctly in this
regard.  Corrective PR here: https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/9876

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org