full-chain ocsp stapling

Jeremy Harris jgh at wizmail.org
Mon Sep 30 13:49:44 UTC 2019

Looking at implementing the above, under TLSv1.3 and (at least
initially) server-side.  I'm currently using

    SSL_CTX_set_tlsext_status_cb()
    SSL_set_tlsext_status_ocsp_resp(   a DER blob )

and the problem is: will this accept a
(DER-wrapped, basicresp-wrapped) stack of singleresp
where the stack has >1 element?

If so, and that is the preferred way to load such
a stapling, how can such a blob be constructed?

I have separate PEM files for each ocsp resp for
the certificate chain, currently.  Converting
to DER and pulling out the singleresp is feasible;
it's building a multi-resp blob that looks hard.

Alternatively, can SSL_set_tlsext_status_ocsp_resp()
be called repeatedly, with distinct blobs for the
stapling chain elements?  The manpage does not suggest it
so it seems unlikely.

Alternatively^2, is there some way to get such a blob from
a tool (openssl ocsp, or similar) ready built?   For this
purpose, I am the CA.
--
Cheers,
  Jeremy