empty directory in the 1.1.1 series release tags

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Tue Apr 21 18:17:21 UTC 2020

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 19:55:41 +0200,
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:25 AM -0700 Norm Green
> <norm.green at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
>
> >  >I use the git release tags, not the tarballs.
> >
> > I do too, and I suspect many others do as well.
> > The empty krb5 directory has not caused grief for me, but it would be
> > nice if the git release tag directory structure matched the tarball.
>
> I ended up doing a git rm on the krb5 dir, and then the rest of the
> tags all went in fine (I was last on 1.1.1d).  But I agree, overall I
> would expect the release tags to match the release tarballs.

To be a bit blunt, that's simply not reasonable.  There are a number
of files and directories, not the least diverse git related files,
that are never going to make it into the tarball.

Have a look at .gitattributes, you have a number of patterns there
with the attribute 'export-ignore'.  Those are files that don't make
it into the tarball.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org