Compiling OpenSSL shared libraries with custom name on Unix platforms

Benjamin Kaduk bkaduk at akamai.com
Tue Jul 14 19:38:31 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 09:08:10PM +0200, shivaramakrishna chakravarthula wrote:
> This is exactly similar to what I am looking for. I am using 1.0.2J version
> and there are some changes in the next version onwards that causes problems
> in SSL connections to older versions when DH key = 256 bytes are used. For
> backward compatibility reasons, I need to continue supporting 256 bytes DH
> keys for some more time and hence I want to stay on 1.0.2J version for now.
>
> Anyways, Thanks for sharing the details.

Ah, thanks for the details.
The change I linked to is not going to be of much use to you, since the build system
got completely redone between those versions.

I will note that, at least on some systems, you can use sed to change the SONAME
of the compiled library before/during the installation process, which may
be enough of a workaround for your purposes.

-Ben