Question about OpenSSL .....

Nicola Tuveri nic.tuv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 14:56:05 UTC 2020

Hello and welcome!

> On my system (Debian 10 - Buster) is OpenSSL installed with Version 1.1.
> Now, I want to install OpenSSL 3.x, but which is the best way for that?
>
> Deinstall the old one, or?

First, keep in mind that 3.x is still in alpha development stage, so
using it as the system-wide library is not at all recommended.

Even after 3.0 will be released officially, replacing the system wide
installation of OpenSSL provided by your Linux distribution is a very
risky business, as many of the required and optional binary packages
the distribution provides are depending on the version of `libcrypto`
and `libssl` shipped within the official OpenSSL packages from your
distribution.

The recommended thing to do when you want to build applications from
sources to use a different version of OpenSSL than what is shipped
with your distribution is to have a custom installation of OpenSSL
(somewhere outside of your linker default path).

You can read more about it on the NOTES.UNIX file in your source
tarball, or at https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/OpenSSL_1_1_1-stable/NOTES.UNIX
.

Note the link above is from the 1.1.1 stable branch, as in master soon
it will likely be replaced with a markdown version of the same file
(PR #12109): you can see a preview of the markdown version of it at
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/be101175badd30402d2e480a79e98ade1343cbfd/NOTES-Unix.md
but beware this link is likely going to be broken at some point after
the PR is merged (but at that point you will be able to find the same
file in `master`).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Nicola Tuveri