RAND SEED in vxworks6.9

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Tue Mar 24 22:48:57 UTC 2020

Hi,

> I am beginner in openssl and I am porting openSSL-1.1.1d in vxWorks-6.9. So
> as suggested I have defined "OPENSSL_RAND_SEED_NONE" flag, as for vxWorks
> 'none' is only supported but after doing so I am observing
> "rand_pool_entropy_available()" returns 0 which further leads to failure.
> I came across that while NONE is set then manual seed and re-seed is must
> for the applications depend on random generator.

Indeed, OPENSSL_RAND_SEED_NONE is the default on platforms where OpenSSL
does not know how to obtain cryptographically strong randomness from a trusted
entropy source. This does not mean that no such source exists, but nobody has
implemented the get_entropy callback for that platform yet.

> I am very confused and as not having any openSSL experience I am not able to
> understand what needs to be done to resolve this issue.
>
> In my project many applications are using openssl APIs, So do I need to call
> RAND_add() in all applications where some random generation is being done?
> or is there anything else I can do to provide the seeds?

Indeed, one workaround for your application would be to seed and reseed
the random generator manually using RAND_bytes(), as it is explained in the
`RESEEDING` section of the RAND_DRBG(7)  manual page (see [1]).
However, be warned that it notoriously hard to estimate the quality of a
random source (a.k.a "entropy") correctly, and that a normal application
developer with little knowledge of cryptography would end up with a fake
sense of security because he overestimated the quality of his random seed.

A better solution would be to use a trusted random source provided by the
operating system or some system library and use it to implement the
get_entropy callbacks for the VxWorks platform. This could even become
part of the official OpenSSL distribution. (Since it's a new feature, it won't
be backported to 1.1.1, but you could patch your local  OpenSSL instance
when the implementation is available).

There was some discussion about a suitable random source for VxWorks
on GitHub in issue #7946 (see [1]), but unfortunately no pull request
emerged of it and the discussion has stalled some time ago.

You could visit the issue's thread and try to contact Tobias Klotz
(by mentioning @klotzt-draeger in the thread)  to find out what the
current state is. If he comes up with a pull request, I could assist with
reviewing it, but I can't implement it since I don't have access to the
VxWorks platform.

Hope that helps,

Regards,
Matthias