Cert hot-reloading

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Tue Sep 1 08:06:30 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-01 06:57, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:00:31PM -0500, David Arnold wrote:
>
>> 1. Construe symlinks to current certs in a folder (old or new / file by file)
>> 2. Symlink that folder
>> 3. Rename the current symlink to that new symlink atomically.
> This is fine, but does not provide atomicity of access across files in
> that directory.  It just lets you prepare the new directory with
> non-atomic operations on the list of published files or file content.
>
> But if clients need to see consistent content across files, this does
> not solve the problem, a client might read one file before the symlink
> is updated and another file after.  To get actual atomicity, the client
> would need to be sure to open a directory file descriptor, and then
> openat(2) to read each file relative to the directory in question.
>
> Most application code is not written that way, but conceivably OpenSSL
> could have an interface for loading a key and certchain from two (or
> perhaps even more for the cert chain) files relative to a given
> directory.  I know how to do this on modern Unix systems, no idea
> whether something similar is possible on Windows.
On NT-based window, the undocumented Zw family of file I/O syscalls
would do what you call "openat()", "current dir" is in fact a directory
handle plus string equivalent stored in a user mode variable in one
of the core shared objects, which is why rmdir fails if it is the current
directory of any process.

> The above is *complicated*.  Requiring a single file for both key and
> cert is far simpler.  Either PEM with key + cert or perhaps (under
> duress) even PKCS#12.
>

>> Does it look like we are actually getting somewhere here?
> So far, not much, just some rough notes on the obvious obstacles.
> There's a lot more to do to design a usable framework for always fresh
> keys.  Keeping it portable between Windows and Unix (assuming MacOS will
> be sufficiently Unix-like) and gracefully handling processes that drop
> privs will be challenging.
>
> Not all applications will want the same approach, so there'd need to be
> various knobs to set to choose one of the supported modes.  Perhaps
> the sanest approach (but one that does nothing for legacy applications)
> is to provide an API that returns the *latest* SSL_CTX via some new
> handle that under the covers constructs a new SSL_CTX as needed.
>
>      SSL_CTX *SSL_Factory_get1_CTX(SSL_CTX_FACTORY *);
>
> This would yield a reference-counted SSL_CTX that each caller must
> ultimately release via SSL_CTX_free() to avoid a leak.
>
>      ... factory construction API calls ...
>      ctx = SSL_Factory_get1_CTX(factory);    -- ctx ref count >= 1
>      SSL *ssl = SSL_CTX_new(ctx);            -- ctx ref count >= 2
>      SSL_free(ssl);                          -- ctx ref count >= 1
>      SSL_CTX_free(ctx);                      -- ctx may be freed here
>
> To address the needs of legacy clients is harder, because they
> expect an SSL_CTX "in hand" to be valid indefinitely, but now
> we want to be able age out and free old contexts, so we want
> some mechanism by which it becomes safe to free old contexts
> that we're sure no thread is still using.  This is difficult
> to do right, because some thread may be blocked for a long
> time, before becoming active again and using an already known
> SSL_CTX pointer.
>
> It is not exactly clear how multi-threaded unmodified legacy software
> can be ensured crash free without memory leaks while behind the scenes
> we're constantly mutating the SSL_CTX.  Once a pointer to an SSL_CTX
> has been read, it might be squirreled away in all kinds of places, and
> here's just no way to know that it won't be used indefinitely.

Enjoy

Jakob