Why does OpenSSL report google's certificate is "self-signed"?

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Thu Apr 1 16:08:34 UTC 2021

In general - I concur, but there are nuances: sending root CA cert is mostly harmless, but mostly useless - except when there's a human on the receiving end that can and is allowed to make a decision to accept and trust that CA cert.

Re. PQC - even the "smallest" among them are much larger than what the Classic keys and signatures are. E.g., Falcon-1024 signature is 1330 bytes (or often less - say, 1200 bytes). Falcon-1024 public key is 1793 bytes. Compare to, e.g., ECC-384 sizes... NTRU public keys are "easier", but not by that much: 1230 bytes. Kyber public key is 1568 bytes. And I picked the *smallest* ones - those I'd consider using myself.

There's also McEliece... __
--
Regards,
Uri

There are two ways to design a system. One is to make is so simple there are obviously no deficiencies.
The other is to make it so complex there are no obvious deficiencies.
                                                                                                                                     -  C. A. R. Hoare