Why does OpenSSL report google's certificate is "self-signed"?

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Thu Apr 1 16:43:23 UTC 2021

Agreed. I tried to capture the summary of pros and cons in the document I'm writing for our customers.

> Re. PQC - even the "smallest" among them are much larger than what the
> Classic keys and signatures are. E.g., Falcon-1024 signature is 1330 bytes
> (or often less - say, 1200 bytes). Falcon-1024 public key is 1793 bytes.
> Compare to, e.g., ECC-384 sizes... NTRU public keys are "easier", but not by
> that much: 1230 bytes. Kyber public key is 1568 bytes. And I picked the
> *smallest* ones - those I'd consider using myself.
>
> There's also McEliece...

Yeah, if NIST standardizes on Classic McEliece for KEM, that's going to give us some *big* keys.

Certainly for resource-constrained applications, like embedded or high-volume, it makes sense to omit the root even with ECC. A few KB here and there will add up.

--
Michael Wojcik