PKCS12 APIs with fips 3.0

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Thu Jan 28 08:26:06 UTC 2021

Does that mean that OpenSSL 3.0 will not have a true "FIPS mode" where
all the non-FIPS algorithms are disabled, but the FIPS-independent
schemes/protocols in the "default" provider remains available?

Remember that in other software systems, such as OpenSSL 1.0.x and MS
CryptoAPI, FIPS mode causes all non-validated algorithms to fail hard,
so all higher level operations are guaranteed to use only FIPS-validated
crypto.

On 2021-01-27 02:01, Dr Paul Dale wrote:
> You could set the default property query to "?fips=yes".  This will
> prefer FIPS algorithms over any others but will not prevent other
> algorithms from being fetched.
>
> Pauli
>
> On 27/1/21 10:47 am, Zeke Evans wrote:
>> I understand that PKCS12 cannot be implemented in the fips provider
>> but I'm looking for a suitable workaround, particularly something
>> that is close to the same behavior as 1.0.2 with the fips 2.0 module.
>>
>> In my case, the default provider is loaded but I am calling
>> EVP_set_default_properties(NULL, "fips=yes").  I can wrap calls to
>> the PKCS12 APIs and momentarily allow non-fips algorithms (ie:
>> "fips=no" or "provider=default") but that prevents the PKCS12
>> implementation from using the crypto implementations in the fips
>> provider.  Is there a property string or some other way to allow
>> PKCS12KDF in the default provider as well as the crypto methods in
>> the fips provider?  I have tried "provider=default,fips=yes" but that
>> doesn't seem to work.
>>
>> Using the default provider is probably a reasonable workaround for
>> reading in PKCS12 files in order to maintain backwards
>> compatibility.  Is there a recommended method going forward that
>> would allow reading and writing to a key store while only using the
>> fips provider?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Zeke Evans
>> Micro Focus