PKCS12 APIs with fips 3.0

Tomas Mraz tm at t8m.info
Thu Jan 28 08:36:16 UTC 2021

I do not get how you came to this conclusion. The "true" FIPS mode can
be easily achieved with OpenSSL 3.0 - either by loading just the fips
and base provider, or by loading both default and fips providers but
using the "fips=yes" default property (without the "?").

The PKCS12KDF does not work because it is not an FIPS approved KDF
algorithm so it cannot really work in the "true" FIPS mode. But IMO
this does not mean that PKCS12 keys do not work at all - if you use
right (more modern) algoritm based on PBKDF2 to do the password based
key derivation, they should work.

That in 1.0.x the PKCS12 worked with the FIPS module with legacy
algorithms it only shows that the "true" FIPS mode was not as "true" as
you might think. There were some crypto algorithms like the KDFs
outside of the FIPS module boundary.

Tomas Mraz

--
Tomáš Mráz