OpenSSL 3.0.0 beta1 link issues on Solaris 10

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Sun Jul 25 21:14:05 UTC 2021

I am not sure what testing is happening with old Solaris 10 but I can
tell you there are still servers out there running. I had no issues with
the configuration stage but, as usual, I do need to make a few tweaks to
Configurations/10-main.conf. Merely to get a consistent set of CFLAGS
that I use for libraries that I may want to single step through. In any
case the link stage fails with a truely massive list of undefined
symbols and it seems as if the previous 1.1.1k libs are being found by
the build process. So I wrote a manual link script and specified the
build directory for the RUNPATH and the library search path however that
resulted in a pile of undefined symbols.

So then I went and deleted my previous 1.1.1k libs and the openssl
binary and tried the manual link once again with success.

Not sure if anyone else runs into this but I would hope that the
previous libs would not be located *before* the new current 3.0.0 libs
that are in the build directory.  Regardless I may need to simply start
over as the new libssl.so.3 seems to have a "NEEDED" libcrypto.so.1.1
and that can't be right.

Here is the result of perl configdata.pm --dump :

alpha$ /opt/bw/bin/perl configdata.pm --dump

Command line (with current working directory = .):

    /opt/bw/bin/perl ./Configure solaris64-sparcv9-cc no-asm
--prefix=/opt/bw shared no-hw no-engine -DPEDANTIC

Perl information:

    /opt/bw/bin/perl
    5.32.0 for sun4-solaris-64-ld

Enabled features:

    aria
    async
    autoalginit
    autoerrinit
    autoload-config
    bf
    blake2
    bulk
    cached-fetch
    camellia
    cast
    chacha
    cmac
    cmp
    cms
    comp
    ct
    deprecated
    des
    dgram
    dh
    dsa
    dso
    dtls
    ec
    ec2m
    ecdh
    ecdsa
    err
    filenames
    gost
    idea
    legacy
    md4
    mdc2
    module
    multiblock
    nextprotoneg
    ocb
    ocsp
    pic
    pinshared
    poly1305
    posix-io
    psk
    rc2
    rc4
    rdrand
    rfc3779
    rmd160
    scrypt
    secure-memory
    seed
    shared
    siphash
    siv
    sm2
    sm3
    sm4
    sock
    srp
    srtp
    sse2
    ssl
    ssl-trace
    static-engine
    stdio
    tests
    threads
    tls
    ts
    ui-console
    whirlpool
    tls1
    tls1-method
    tls1_1
    tls1_1-method
    tls1_2
    tls1_2-method
    tls1_3
    dtls1
    dtls1-method
    dtls1_2
    dtls1_2-method

Disabled features:

    acvp-tests          [default]        OPENSSL_NO_ACVP_TESTS
    afalgeng            [cascade]        OPENSSL_NO_AFALGENG
    asan                [default]        OPENSSL_NO_ASAN
    asm                 [option]         OPENSSL_NO_ASM
    buildtest-c++       [default]
    capieng             [cascade]        OPENSSL_NO_CAPIENG
    crypto-mdebug       [default]        OPENSSL_NO_CRYPTO_MDEBUG
    devcryptoeng        [default]        OPENSSL_NO_DEVCRYPTOENG
    dynamic-engine      [cascade]
    ec_nistp_64_gcc_128 [default]        OPENSSL_NO_EC_NISTP_64_GCC_128
    egd                 [default]        OPENSSL_NO_EGD
    engine              [option]         OPENSSL_NO_ENGINE (skip
engines, crypto/engine)
    external-tests      [default]        OPENSSL_NO_EXTERNAL_TESTS
    fips                [default]
    fips-securitychecks [cascade]        OPENSSL_NO_FIPS_SECURITYCHECKS
    fuzz-afl            [default]        OPENSSL_NO_FUZZ_AFL
    fuzz-libfuzzer      [default]        OPENSSL_NO_FUZZ_LIBFUZZER
    ktls                [default]        OPENSSL_NO_KTLS
    loadereng           [cascade]        OPENSSL_NO_LOADERENG
    makedepend          [unavailable]
    md2                 [default]        OPENSSL_NO_MD2 (skip crypto/md2)
    msan                [default]        OPENSSL_NO_MSAN
    padlockeng          [cascade]        OPENSSL_NO_PADLOCKENG
    rc5                 [default]        OPENSSL_NO_RC5 (skip crypto/rc5)
    sctp                [default]        OPENSSL_NO_SCTP
    trace               [default]        OPENSSL_NO_TRACE
    ubsan               [default]        OPENSSL_NO_UBSAN
    unit-test           [default]        OPENSSL_NO_UNIT_TEST
    uplink              [no uplink_arch] OPENSSL_NO_UPLINK
    weak-ssl-ciphers    [default]        OPENSSL_NO_WEAK_SSL_CIPHERS
    zlib                [default]
    zlib-dynamic        [default]
    ssl3                [default]        OPENSSL_NO_SSL3
    ssl3-method         [default]        OPENSSL_NO_SSL3_METHOD

Config target attributes:

    AR => "ar",
    ARFLAGS => "qc",
    CC => "cc",
    CFLAGS => "-xO0 -g -xdepend",
    HASHBANGPERL => "/usr/bin/env perl",
    RANLIB => "ranlib",
    RC => "windres",
    asm_arch => "sparcv9",
    bn_ops => "BN_LLONG RC4_CHAR",
    build_file => "Makefile",
    build_scheme => [ "unified", "unix" ],
    cflags => "-m64 -xarch=sparc -g -xO0 -Xa -errfmt=error -erroff=%none
-errshort=full -xstrconst -xildoff -xmemalign=8s -xnolibmil -xcode=pic32
-xregs=no%appl -xlibmieee -mc -ftrap=%none -xbuiltin=%none -xunroll=1
-Qy -xdebugformat=dwarf -xstrconst -Xa",
    cppflags => "-D_REENTRANT -D_REENTRANT",
    defines => [ "OPENSSL_BUILDING_OPENSSL" ],
    disable => [  ],
    dso_scheme => "dlfcn",
    enable => [  ],
    ex_libs => "-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lrt -lpthread",
    includes => [  ],
    lflags => "-mt",
    lib_cflags => "",
    lib_cppflags => "-DFILIO_H -DB_ENDIAN -DBN_DIV2W",
    lib_defines => [  ],
    module_cflags => "-KPIC",
    module_cxxflags => undef,
    module_ldflags => "-G -dy -z text -Wl,-Bsymbolic",
    multilib => "/64",
    perl_platform => "Unix",
    perlasm_scheme => "void",
    shared_cflag => "-KPIC",
    shared_defflag => "-Wl,-M,",
    shared_defines => [  ],
    shared_ldflag => "-G -dy -z text -Wl,-Bsymbolic",
    shared_rcflag => "",
    shared_sonameflag => "-Wl,-h,",
    shared_target => "solaris",
    thread_defines => [  ],
    thread_scheme => "pthreads",
    unistd => "<unistd.h>",

Recorded environment:

    AR =
    BUILDFILE =
    CC = /opt/developerstudio12.6/bin/cc
    CFLAGS = -m64 -xarch=sparc -g -xO0 -Xa -errfmt=error -erroff=%none
-errshort=full -xstrconst -xildoff -xmemalign=8s -xnolibmil -xcode=pic32
-xregs=no%appl -xlibmieee -mc -ftrap=%none -xbuiltin=%none -xunroll=1
-Qy -xdebugformat=dwarf
    CPPFLAGS = -I/opt/bw/include -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS
-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_TS_ERRNO
    CROSS_COMPILE =
    CXX = /opt/developerstudio12.6/bin/CC
    CXXFLAGS =
    HASHBANGPERL =
    LDFLAGS = -L/opt/bw/lib
    LDLIBS =
    OPENSSL_LOCAL_CONFIG_DIR =
    PERL = /opt/bw/bin/perl
    RANLIB =
    RC =
    RCFLAGS =
    WINDRES =
    __CNF_CFLAGS =
    __CNF_CPPDEFINES =
    __CNF_CPPFLAGS =
    __CNF_CPPINCLUDES =
    __CNF_CXXFLAGS =
    __CNF_LDFLAGS =
    __CNF_LDLIBS =

Makevars:

    AR              = ar
    ARFLAGS         = qc
    CC              = /opt/developerstudio12.6/bin/cc
    CFLAGS          = -m64 -xarch=sparc -g -xO0 -Xa -errfmt=error
-erroff=%none -errshort=full -xstrconst -xildoff -xmemalign=8s
-xnolibmil -xcode=pic32 -xregs=no%appl -xlibmieee -mc -ftrap=%none
-xbuiltin=%none -xunroll=1 -Qy -xdebugformat=dwarf
    CPPDEFINES      = PEDANTIC
    CPPFLAGS        = -I/opt/bw/include -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS
-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_TS_ERRNO
    CPPINCLUDES     =
    CXX             = /opt/developerstudio12.6/bin/CC
    CXXFLAGS        =
    HASHBANGPERL    = /opt/bw/bin/perl
    LDFLAGS         = -L/opt/bw/lib
    LDLIBS          =
    PERL            = /opt/bw/bin/perl
    RANLIB          = ranlib
    RC              = windres
    RCFLAGS         =

NOTE: These variables only represent the configuration view.  The build file
template may have processed these variables further, please have a look
at the
build file for more exact data:
    Makefile

build file:

    Makefile

build file templates:

    Configurations/common0.tmpl
    Configurations/unix-Makefile.tmpl
alpha$

I will start over now with the previous 1.1.1k bin and libs entirely
removed. If there is some option within the Configuration step that I am
missing I would be glad to hear it. Thank you.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC