Version compatibility issues - Re: openssl development work / paid

Embedded Devel lists at optimcloud.com
Tue May 4 08:02:14 UTC 2021

>>> I was that second developer and even though 'Embedded Devel' listed
>>> this as "paid" work and even though he made repeated promises about
>>> following up on payment, I never did receive payment.
>>>
>>> I checked the email address and IP addresses used for this job and
>>> found nothing terribly wrong. My conclusion is that either someone
>>> hijacked an email address - meaning that Optimcloud is not a very
>>> *safe* company to do business with -  or that 'Embedded Devel' at
>>> Optimcloud simply thinks he can get away with this - meaning that
>>> Optimcloud is not a very *trustworthy* company to do business with.
>>>
>> no actually, neither is the case. I submitted the work for payment,
>> accounting inquired of the developer if it was all working and he
>> stated it wasnt. So where it is, and its more i think we dont
>> understand is when the client registers and is authorized it should
>> generate a new xml config for the client, and right now there appears
>> to be some mismatch, basically we have no idea how you had this
>> working. so we are a month in from the work you did and i submitted
>> payment for, and still have had 0 reproducability. Ive even reviewed
>> the document you sent, as has he, and we are missing something.
>
> This is the first time I hear of this. To get a few things straight
> (and I have the full email exchange at hand to back this up):

Wow so lets just make the whole thing public.

> - 'embedded devel' originally asked for a developer to port old
> OpenSSL code to openssl 1.1+
> - I offered to do this and ported the application to work with openssl
> 1.1.1 within a few hours. 'embedded devel' agreed with me in email
> that I had achieved the original goal.

This is in fact true, and i dont dispute it.

> - after that, I offered to help in debugging the rest of the
> client/server application workflow, which was poorly documented but
> which had little to do with openssl specifics. I never offered or
> promised to get the entire client/server application framework working
> again.
> - 'embedded devel' accepted my offer and said he had a fixed maximum
> amount that he could spend.

Also true.

> - I worked for the remainder of the time on analyzing and debugging
> the application workflow, even though it turned out that I was not
> given all source code. 'embedded devel' confirmed that a part was missing.
The missing part was the UI, which itself was also in the process of a
rewrite, also of which isnt completed and the developer has been
compensated already.

> - I wrote a report with my findings and suggestions on how to proceed.
> 'embedded devel' was satisfied with the report and told me he would
> ask accounting to pay me.

I am and was satisfied, and I did submit it to billing. However that
being said, we still cannot reproduce how you made this work because it
is unclear, it doesnt apper clearly in the document, that also didnt
prevent me from paying the bill.

> - after several reminders about payment he did not respond to my
> emails until I made my post yesterday, claiming for the first time
> that what I had done was not reproducible.

This is untrue, and heres the proof.

"ive already processed this for payment, ill push the accountant to get
it remitted

though the tone is a bit stern...  nothing to worry about, itll post to
you.

Thanks

On 3/31/21 10:11 PM, Jan Just Keijser wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> On 30/03/21 14:47, Jan Just Keijser wrote:
>>
>> just as a check/reminder: I have not yet seen my payment.
>> Please let me know when the payment is made.
>>

> this is my second and last reminder: I expect payment for my services,
> € 1000 as agreed and promised, before the end of this week.
>
> kind regards,
>
> Jan Just Keijser

"

Now so we can not consume everyone elses time with trivial bits of
banter and this spins out of hand

emailing the list, and outing these facts doesnt get you paid either. It
seems yopur just upset because you believe we are trying to rip you off
and we arent. Plainly said it doesnt appear to work, we cannot reproduce
it, however i know that when you did it, it did work, so whats the
secret. To me its simple.

work is obviously done, more then happy to pay, matter of fact ill remit
$500 Euros in good faith right now. Out of my personal account. Now
proof of payment is sent, simply tell us how you made this work. And
leave everyone else out of it, We are all busy, I did what i said i
would do, and never intended not to pay you.

Jan Just Keijser

-€500.00

Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 2:54 PM

Id attache the receipt, but its been blocked by the mailing list due to size

> Reviewing this, I see no reason to change my viewpoint on the
> trustworthiness of either 'embedded devel' or the company Optimcloud.

Personally, I would have used a different tone in your last 3 emails.
Its not very professional. And I did submit the payment information, I
even signed for it to be remitted. My Accountants have a process, they
followed the process. Sometimes thing take time of get thrown a curve
ball. And FYI, I am the Owner and CEO.