OpenSSL-3.+ how to configure [random]?

Dr Paul Dale pauli at openssl.org
Wed Nov 10 20:20:03 UTC 2021

I'm pretty sure the underlying problem is that there is a call to
RAND_set_rand_method() or RAND_set_rand_engine() occurring (likely the
latter).

These completely replace the built in RNG infrastructure with the
RAND_METHOD/engine.  If the engine then fails to produce output for any
reason, the observed results will present.

Adding the RDRAND engine again replaces the RAND_METHOD and things begin
working.

I've no idea why the PKCS#11 engine has stopped working with 3.0. It
wasn't meant to.

Pauli