"DST Root CA X3" expiry workaround for OpenSSL 1.0.1, 1.0.0 and 0.9.8 client applications

Felipe Gasper felipe at felipegasper.com
Sun Oct 3 23:14:35 UTC 2021

> On Oct 3, 2021, at 7:09 PM, Rob Stradling <rob at sectigo.com> wrote:
>
> The "Old Let’s Encrypt Root Certificate Expiration and OpenSSL 1.0.2" blog article [1] doesn't cover OpenSSL versions prior to 1.0.2, presumably because they've been unsupported for a long time.  However, no doubt there are still some users and applications that are stuck using even older versions of OpenSSL.

Indeed, CentOS/RHEL 7 and earlier still use OpenSSL 1.0.2. These are widely used in shared hosting.

We ended up implementing Workaround #2 in order to bring OpenSSL 1.0.x into parity with the behaviour of 1.1.0+. It would be nice--would have been helpful for me, at least--to have fleshed-out code examples.

Thank you to everyone who maintains OpenSSL and who’s helping us all through this transition.

cheers,
-Felipe Gasper