"DST Root CA X3" expiry workaround for OpenSSL 1.0.1, 1.0.0 and 0.9.8 client applications

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Oct 4 18:36:48 UTC 2021

I got a call on Thursday from my mom asking why Apple Mail couldn't SMTP
deliver to my LE signed SMTP server.   She forgot how to start teamviewer, so
a Saturday morning trip to the small town she lives in later... and it she
looks like a problem with anchors.

On a brand new MacOS system from this year.  (Her old iMac had long sinced
reached it's maximum OS level and was sadly, replaced)
The machine did want to apply updates, which allowed, but I don't know if
those updates solved the problem because I had already overridden things.

I was surprised anyway, and I'm just posting this as a datapoint.
I don't have many details.  I don't know what libraries Apple Mail uses.