AW: [EXTERNAL] Stricter pathlen checks in OpenSSL 1.1.1 compared to 1.0.2?.

Andrew Lynch andrew.lynch at atos.net
Fri Sep 16 08:32:27 UTC 2022

So is this a possible bug or a feature of OpenSSL 1.1.1?  (using 1.1.1n right now)

If I set up the content of CAfile or CApath so that E <- D <- C <- A is the only path that can be taken then the validation fails with

error 25 at 3 depth lookup: path length constraint exceeded

If I create the first root certificate (A) with pathlen:2 instead of pathlen:1 then validation succeeds

user1_cert.pem: OK
Chain:
depth=0: C = DE, O = Test Org, CN = Test User (untrusted)           E
depth=1: C = DE, O = Test Org, CN = Test Sub-CA                              D
depth=2: C = DE, O = Test Org, CN = Test Root 2-CA                         C
depth=3: C = DE, O = Test Org, CN = Test Root 1-CA                         A

So it appears to me that OpenSSL 1.1.1n is definitely taking the pathlen constraint of certificate A into account.

Andrew.