Does algorithm fetching falls back if provider does not support algorithm parameters?

Tomas Mraz tomas at openssl.org
Mon Apr 3 06:51:14 UTC 2023

This is a well-known weakness of the provider implementation selection
method as we currently implement it in libcrypto.

Yes, in such case as you've described the implementation used will be
the one from the provider "A" and that means using 4096 bit RSA will
fail.

It would require much more fine-grained model of algorithm properties
to be implemented across providers. However it would also make the
algorithm implementation selection much more complicated from the
user's perspective which might not be desirable.

Tomas Mraz, OpenSSL

--
Tomáš Mráz, OpenSSL