BF_set_key() vs EVP_CIPHER_CTX_set_key_length()

Thomas Dwyer III thomas.dwyer at oracle.com
Fri Apr 21 22:44:26 UTC 2023

We have multiple versions of an application using blowfish that already
shipped to customers. This legacy code uses the low level blowfish
primitives and I'm trying to port it to the high level EVP APIs but I'm
not getting the same results.

Old code:

         BF_set_key(&key, plen, passwd);
         BF_cfb64_encrypt(data, out, dlen, &key, iv, &offset, BF_ENCRYPT);

New code (return code checking omitted for clarity):

         ctx = EVP_CIPHER_CTX_new();
         EVP_CipherInit_ex(ctx, EVP_bf_cfb64(), NULL, passwd, iv,
BF_ENCRYPT);
         EVP_CIPHER_CTX_set_key_length(ctx, plen);
         EVP_CipherUpdate(ctx, out, &outlen, data, dlen);
         EVP_CipherFinal_ex(ctx, out+outlen, &outlen);

I expected the "out" buffer to contain the same value for both
implementations. It doesn't. The problem appears to center around the
length of the key but I'm not sure what's going wrong.

Unfortunately, a bug in the legacy code is effectively setting plen to
strlen(passwd)+1 rather than strlen(passwd), causing the null terminator
to be included in the length passed to BF_set_key(). For backward
compatibility with code that already shipped, I attempted to preserve
this buggy semantic in the new code by calling
EVP_CIPHER_CTX_set_key_length() with the same value that was originally
getting passed to BF_set_key().

If my key is more than 15 bytes long (e.g. "GoodMorningWorld") or less
than 15 bytes long (e.g. "GoodMorningWor") then the old & new code
produce different results. However, if the key is exactly 15 bytes long
(e.g. "GoodMorningWorl") then the old & new code both produce the same
result. In fact, the call to EVP_CIPHER_CTX_set_key_length() does not
appear to have any impact on the result (even though a subsequent
EVP_CIPHER_CTX_key_length() returns this new value instead of the
default 16). I don't understand this. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Tom.III