BF_set_key() vs EVP_CIPHER_CTX_set_key_length()

Tomas Mraz tomas at openssl.org
Sat Apr 22 08:31:45 UTC 2023

This is the same problem as
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/20769

You need to call EVP_CipherInit_ex() twice. First with just the
EVP_CIPHER parameter set, then set the key length and then call the
second init with the passwd, iv and NULL EVP_CIPHER.

You can also use the EVP_CipherInit_ex2() with params setting the key
length in the first call instead of calling
EVP_CIPHER_CTX_set_key_length() as a small optimization.

Tomas Mraz, OpenSSL

--
Tomáš Mráz, OpenSSL