Statically linking custom provider to libcrypto

Deividas Mozūraitis deividas.mozuraitis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 06:57:29 UTC 2023

Dear OpenSSL users,

I've written a custom provider performing KEM and a bunch of other
operations. I compiled this provider dynamically, loaded it in OpenSSL and
it all works fine.

However, I have a requirement that the final product must be a statically
linked OpenSSL executable and libcrypto/libssl. How can this be achieved ?
I looked at the source code and my guess is that I should try to mimic how
libfips is compiled, but I'm not exactly sure how the OpenSSL build system
works - I goofed around in providers/build.info and OpenSSL did compile a
bunch of object files from my providers source code, but it never actually
linked anything.

Is there an easier way of doing this, or is this use case completely
unsupported and I should forget about it ?

Thank you,

Deividas