OpenSSL project is considering to close this mailing list

Mark H. Wood mwood at iupui.edu
Fri Mar 17 12:01:24 UTC 2023

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 11:04:57AM +0100, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> Hello all openssl-users mailing list contributors,
>
> as the focus of the OpenSSL users and developers community is now on
> the OpenSSL project GitHub page [1] we are considering closing this
> mailing list. We would like to move to using Issues [2] and Pull
> requests [3] in GitHub to discuss topics and ask questions related to
> using and developing  OpenSSL in a single location as this provides
> better tracking and searching and we believe this will help us serve
> our community better.
>
> We would still keep the mailing list read-only so the archives of the
> discussions are not lost.

Interesting.  I'm a contributor to a project which takes the opposite
view.  Its developer ML is essentially abandoned in favor of Github,
but the user lists are active and one is encouraged to use them for
local issues and general questions.

From time to time we get a Github issue "how would I do thusandso" or
"I can't make this work," but these are closed and the poster is
gently advised to use the MLs for questions and usage assistance.  The
community is quite responsive, but anything that isn't likely to lead
to patching the stock code is kept out of Github.  OTOH feature
requests and bug fixes on the MLs are redirected *to* Github.

I think that a lot of people would see the developer and user contexts
as quite different, with different natural communication styles, work
flow, and record keeping requirements.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst