OpenSSL project is considering to close this mailing list

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Mon Mar 20 00:34:57 UTC 2023

Hiya,

On 20/03/2023 00:19, Tim Hudson wrote:

> Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that simply won't respond publicly
> because they don't want to get a hostile reaction from those who disagree.

Sorry to be picky, but if they don't respond publicly
we don't know why unless they respond privately and I
don't recall seeing someone claim to have seen such a
set of responses. (I'd also be surprised to hear such
a claim, given the topic.)

Speaking as someone with a bit of experience of trying
to evaluate consensus (or the lack thereof) on mailing
lists, my take fwiw is that the responses seen in this
thread so far are overwhelmingly in favour of not closing
the list. Now experience with IETF lists doesn't translate
directly to this list, but nonetheless it's rare to not
see some divergence of opinion on the action to take.
This thread seems to be one of those rarities.

Cheers,
S.