OpenSSL project is considering to close this mailing list

Eldon Stegall openssl-users at eldondev.com
Mon Mar 20 03:00:12 UTC 2023

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 10:19:20AM +1000, Tim Hudson wrote:
> If we look at the activity since 1-Jan-2022 (last year + this year to date)
> and count the questions/posts and questions/posts-replied-to and total
> interactions you get this list (for those who have had more than 5
> questions/posts they have replied to.
>
> matt at openssl.org 25 51 118
> tomas at openssl.org 3 47 96
> openssl-users at dukhovni.org 0 45 85
> pauli at openssl.org 0 16 38
> Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com 1 14 64
> levitte at openssl.org 0 9 10
> Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com 0 8 12
> beldmit at gmail.com 0 7 12
> mcr at sandelman.ca 1 6 24
> it at von-Oheimb.de 0 6 9

Hi Tim,
Given this list, and the previous statement:

> We are seeking input on this potential change if you are currently
> actively contributing on openssl-users mailing list discussion and *you*
> *believe such a change would substantially reduce your participation in*
> *the project*.

You had the list of people whose responses mattered to you. If you were
only soliciting feedback from these people, why did you email the whole
list instead of these people directly?

I realise I am a lurker, but clearly I cherish the openssl community,
and read this list to continue learning about the project, even if I am
not quite interest in the firehose that might be github issues.

Thanks,
Eldon