Cross-signing non-self-signed third party certificate

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Tue May 30 12:26:35 UTC 2023

On 30.05.23 14:00, openssl-users-request at openssl.org digested:
> From: Yannik Sembritzki <yannik at sembritzki.org>
>
> I am trying to cross-sign a third party certificate which is *not* self
> signed (e.g. a third party intermediate CA, or even a particular client
> certificate) [...]
> This results in the following error: /Error with certificate to be
> certified - should be self-signed//
[...]
> Could anybody explain the reason for this restriction?

I'm not saying that these hands down invalidate each and every use case,
but off the top of my head:

1. The cert (or, for that matter, CSR) being *self* signed serves as
    proof that the requesting party is in possession of the private key.
2. You want to sign info on the subject you verified, not someone else's
    interpretation of the subject; e.g., a person's cert from a 3rd party
    CA giving the OU as "FooBar E-Mail-Reply Verified Personal
    Certificates" is unlikely to correctly state the dpt. the person
    works in. (Assuming that you would want to copy *anything* beyond the
    pubkey from the preexisting cert into the new one, of course.)

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur