[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4648] openssl doesn't work on mingw

Andy Polyakov via RT rt at openssl.org
Tue Aug 16 14:03:21 UTC 2016

> I tested the following command on fedora 24 and mingw64 (mingw64 installed via git for windows):
>
> openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024
>
> On fedora, it's instantaneous.
> On mingw64, it's stuck before asking the key:
>
> Generating RSA private key, 1024 bit long modulus
> ..................++++++
> ....................++++++

There is certain ambiguity in problem description... I mean I don't
quite grasp what exactly was attempted. Thing is that it's possible to
cross-compile openssl with mingw compiler on Linux, and it's even
possible to execute Windows binaries on Linux transparently, i.e.
directly at Linux command prompt as if it was normal Linux command,
under wine. This is actually what is regularly tested and if this is
your case, then I can't say that I can reproduce the problem. But at the
same time that's what is likely to make me fail to grasp the problem
run windows binary in msys shell window. Thing is that even though you'd
use msys shell to compile openssl binary, resulting binary is plain
windows one, and it's not given that it can inter-operate with msys
shell window. Rather contrary actually. To verify if this is the case,
just start plain cmd session and attempt the command in question there.
If goal actually is to execute openssl at msys command prompt, then
openssl should be compiled *for* msys, but we don't actually support
this configuration. In either case, question is if you could elaborate
more on conditions under which this happens. And what openssl version is
it? Reference to "installed via git for windows" suggests that it's
development master branch, but you'd need to be more specific.

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4648